The Guide to Getting Started
SEE AND FEEL HOW MAKING TIME TO PRACTICE YOGA REGULARLY DECREASES STRESS AND ENHANCES YOUR LIFE PHYSICALLY, MENTALLY AND EMOTIONALLY.
- Sign the New Student Registration & Waiver only if you’ve never practiced at MYBW before... If you have practiced at our original location you are already in the system! Click “Forgot Password”
- Purchase the $60 First Month Unlimited (available one time only for new students) Or any other pricing option on our Price Menu
- Sign Up for some classes
- Scroll down to learn what to bring, what to wear, where to park, about studio etiquette etc.
- Download the App – iPhone / Android for easy reservations, cancellations and purchases (compatible with your calendar)
- Meet your Teachers & Beau – our beloved studio dog
- Browse Class Types
- Meet the MYBW community >>> Upcoming Events
- Connect with us on Facebook & Instagram to get to know the studio vibe
- Begin with a classic Moksha class, once the poses become familiar then branch out to a Yin, a Flow, or a Yang Yin
- Don’t miss the Sunday evening Stretch & Surrender with Live Violin, it is the perfect combination of violin and relaxing grounding poses to set you up for a lovely and productive week
- Keep an eye out for Pop-up workshops and complimentary community events like our Live To Learn Tea Talks in the Zen Den
If you have any questions about what to expect for your first time at MYBW, please give us a call at 416-766-9642 or email our Yoga Advisor Alison Grundy.
STUDIO ETIQUETTE AT A GLANCE
- Please remove your shoes upon entering the studio
- Please turn your cell phone off, to vibrate or to Do Not Disturb; there are absolutely no cell phones or mobile devices permitted in the practice studio for any reason
- Please always sign-in at the front desk before proceeding to change rooms
- Please respect the silence in the room at all times
- Please be scent-free: no perfume or cologne
- Please leave bags and personal belonging in change rooms (if you must, a wallet is okay to bring in to the practice room)
- Please remain in the practice room for the duration of your class, including ‘savasana’ (final relaxation) for health & safety reasons
- Please leave the practice room quietly and patiently once you’re ready to leave. Try to not disrupt the other students staying for a longer savasana
- Ensure early arrival >>>Latecomers will not be permitted
FUELLING BEFORE & AFTER
It’s super important with hot yoga to come to class on a fairly empty stomach, avoid caffeine before class, and arrive well hydrated. Try not to eat heavy meals 2 – 3 hours before practicing. In addition to drinking straight water, we recommend coconut water or rooibos tea as they’re packed full of electrolytes and will replenish lost minerals due to sweating. For those of you who need a bit of energy before class, try eating half a small banana or a couple of dates as a good pre-yoga snacks (30 minutes before class) or try one of our energy balls available at the front desk.
We are proudly cell phone free at Moksha Yoga Bloor West. Our studio is a place for people to disconnect from their busy lives and reconnect with peace and quiet. Please switch cell phones on Do Not Disturb or turned off upon arrival, and stashed away in change rooms at all times. If you’d feel more comfortable keeping your cell phone with you, you may bring your mobile phone into the practice room though it must be turned off (absolutely no exceptions). We know it may sound scary, but think of it as freedom.
THE NO LATE-COMERS POLICY
Please note that late students are not be permitted to class if arriving after the start time… Even if you’re Justin Trudeau… and also know that we absolutely hate to turn you away (please don’t shoot the messenger!)
RESERVATIONS & CANCELLATIONS
- We recommend arriving at least 15-20 minutes early before your first class
- We recommend arriving 10 minutes early on a regular basis (it doesn’t feel good to rush to yoga)
- We release unclaimed reservations 5 minutes before class starts
All students must be be 16 years old to practice at MYBW (with guardian permission) on the regular schedule. Individuals under 16 years old may take class for special events, which will be clearly labeled “All-Ages”, such as on Family Day. If you’re interested in organizing a private or group class for kids or tweens or teens, please email Meg for more information.
MAKING A PURCHASE
We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard and Visa-Debit >>> we do not accept Interac as a form of payment.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A REGULAR YOGA PRACTICE?
A yoga practice involves stretching, strengthening, and elongating the spine for proper alignment of the vertebrae. Breathing techniques and relaxation lower blood pressure and increase cardio-vascular health. In addition, they increase lung capacity, release tension and stress, and teach us to relax and enjoy life.
• Elevates in strength and resiliency
• Heightens energy
• Promotes deeper sleep
• Strengthened immunity
• Fosters a deep-rooted sense of trust
• Impacts self-awareness
• Promotes emotional vulnerability and gratitude
• Enhances mood, passion and vitality
• Amplifies self-acceptance/ self-Love/ self-transformation/ self-actualization
• Focuses concentration
BUT IS IT HEALTHY TO PRACTICE YOGA EVERYDAY?
Traditionally, yoga was meant intended to become a part of the day-to-day routine. When beginning a daily practice, there are some key things to remember:
- Listen to your body and respect its messages. When we increase body awareness our ability to listen becomes better tuned
- Pace yourself
- Ask teachers about adjustments for specific needs (injuries, using props, etc)
- Take savasana before and after class for minimum of 5 minutes
- Practice Moksha, Flow, Yin and Stretch & Surrender to build resilience and maintain balance, variety and curiosity within your practice
- Days you aren’t able to tale a class at studio, supplement with home practice, seated meditation or walking meditation (talk to any teacher for more details)
- Stay well hydrated by adding sea salt + raw sugar to your water, drinking coconut water before/after or adding electrolytes to water while practicing (too much straight water can weaken mineral absorption)
THE SCHEDULE – PRINTABLE
IF I LOVE IT, WHAT’S NEXT?
FIRST MONTH INTRO STUDENTS RECEIVE $10 OFF THE MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP OR 10% OFF ALL OTHER PASSES (5, 10, 50, One Month Unlimited). VISIT THE MAIN PRICING PAGE FOR DETAILS.
PRACTICE 2X A WEEK OR MORE >>> THE MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP IS BY FAR THE BEST DEAL
A regular practice will give you so much more than a toned, flexible body and clear, supple skin. It will give you restful sleep, peace of mind, clarity, joy, inspiration – the benefits of yoga are endless.
If you come to class 2x a week or more, our Monthly Membership contract is the best deal for you. With a Monthly Membership, your credit card is automatically charged $115+ hst (or $105 + hst if purchased during Intro Month, available online) on the same day each month.. The minimum commitment required is 4 months from the activation date. After 4 months you may terminate your contract or put your pass on hold for up to 30 days 1x/year….
MEMBERSHIP PERKS INCLUDE:
- Unlimited Yoga!
- FREE Live To Learn Workshops
- FREE 30 Day Challenges
- Discounts on Retail, Private Workshops & Retreats
- Special Pricing with our Community Partnerships
- Sign-Up Special: 1 complimentary colon hydrotherapy treatment with Monica Black ($100 value) Pick up at reception
- Guest Passes for friends new to MYBW
- Access to the Traveler’s Pass to use worldwide at all Moksha/Modo studios
Check out The Monthly Membership page for learn more and to sign-up
IF YOU PRACTICE 1x A WEEK OR LESS >>>
Buy a 5, 10 or 50 Class bundle. These classes never expire and you receive 10% off any class bundle during your First Month Intro . Ensure that your billing info is on your account then give the front desk a call (416-766-9642) to receive the discount.